Saturday, August 11, 2012

guest post: Wild & Precious

a quick note & a call to help from a dear friend (we've never met in person but that doesn't matter!) Blair:
 _________________________________________________________________




I first saw this video back in February and it's been stirring my soul ever since.  "Possessions in my hand will never be more valuable than peace in my heart... start a new conversation."  From there God has been keeping my heart all aflutter with ideas about how I can use my everyday platforms - my blog, my twitter, my job as a youth director, etc. to love His people. And not just that, but to also challenge myself to break free of the grips of this world that tell me I have to be, act, look, possess, do xyz in order to be loved.  The Pixie Project began to grow...

The idea of the project was to partner with Mocha Club to help rescue 3 women from the sex industry of Ethiopia.  At $400 a women, the goal was $1,200 -- then, when I reached my goal, I would get the haircut I've always wanted to try but have lacked the courage/motivation to get.  It was a way to make the haircut about something bigger and important and a fun way for me to use my platforms to love God's people. 

Here are some facts:
1 or 9 women in the capital city of Ethiopia are part of the sex industry.
3 of 4 of the women in this lifestyle have AIDS, which for many is a death sentence. 

For $400 a women, Mocha Club can take a women off the street and give them a year of intensive counseling, spiritual guidance, medical attention, job training, a safe place to stay, and also give their children education and health care.  Helping 3 women in this way would be the motivation I needed to get the haircut. 

As of this past Friday I've reached my goal! Such sweet affirmation from my Savior.  The support I have gotten has fed, challenged, convicted, and encouraged my soul.  I am full of gratitude as I continue to learn more and more about God's grace and His desires for me.

a
Though I've reached my goal & I'm definitely getting my hair cut, I'm not stopping.  The Pixie Project will continue to run through the rest of August.  We'll continue to raise awareness and funds for the Women at Risk.  There are more women we can support -- a second chance at life! I hope that you will help me in this continued endeavor buy donating, praying, and spreading the word.

You can donate by clicking the button below that will take you straight to my fundraising page (all donations are tax deductible and you will receive a receipt for your records).  You can also follow along with the Pixie Project on my blog.  

Thanks for being a part of this journey.  We can do something wonderful together!
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! If you are just stopping by I would love for you to become a follower!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails