I shared part of my testimony with my girls at campaigners a few weeks ago. I shared about the year that Christ healed my heart. Some of that time I was doing Summer Staff at WFR, He taught me while I was there so many things but one is that "Where the Spirit of the Lord is; there is freedom". Burdens were lifted and weight was taken away. There is SO much freedom in the Lord. We had such a great time together. I miss this:
Freedom reigns in this place
Showers of mercy and grace
Falling on ev'ry face
There is freedom
Jesus reigns in this place
Showers of mercy and grace
Falling on ev'ry face
There is freedom
Filling in Blanks on Friday along with Lauren! Create your own and then go to her page to link up!!
1. My absolute favorite movie of all time is ... oh goodness how do you even pick that!? I love so many movies. Cinderella, Sandlot, Hook, Pirates (1), Just Married, Because I said So... I don't even know how to do this. Honestly this question stresses me out because I feel like I'm going to forget movies and I also always feel like the movies I like are really "shallow" and I don't want people to view me as shallow!! haha. (okay I'm just rambling embarrassing things now...)
2. My favorite movie as a child was ...The Labyrinth, and Ace Ventura. and anything Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen. I played more Nintendo and watched TV more than movies I think. OOO: House Guest. FUNNIEST MOVIE OF MY LIFE. I love it so much. Please rent it this weekend if you've never seen it.
3. The best movie quote ever is from ... serious?!!? I have no idea. Way too many to even think of. Probably would say something from the Notebook.... or It Takes Two "that can't eat, can't sleep, over the fence reach for the stars world series kinda stuff"
4. My favorite actress Julia Roberts My favorite actor Jude Law
5. The movie I could watch over and over is Just Married or Because I said So. These are my go-to movies to make me feel good. I love to laugh. (if FRIENDS counts as a movie.. which I know it doesn't... that's what I would say). Although Lindsay and I in college watched Last Kiss once a week for a few months... (we also watched FRIENDS straight through the entire series...) 6. My favorite movie genre is ...Romantic comedy/comedy. As I've gotten older I've wanted to watch less and less movies with depth? I'm not really sure why, I think sometimes I deal with so much "real hard life" with friends or YL and I don't really need to entertain myself with movies about heavy issues or dark things going on. When I watch a movie it's because I want to laugh or feel good or just have something to do. 7. A movie I'd like to watch this weekend is Better Off Dead. I'm pretty sure Netflix is going to call me on Monday and demand it back. We've had it for a few months and I've been waiting for my husband to agree to watch it with me... not sure if that's going to happen.
WHEW, I made it. that one was rough. Maybe it's because I can't focus on Fridays very well.
Organizing is seriously a passion of mine. I am sure you will see it being a theme throughout my "dream jobs". Home organizing is something I have loved since I was a little girl. My mom loves it and she passed it on to me. I used to go over to friends houses when I was in elementary school (no joke) and help them rearrange their room, get rid of old clothes, take old toys/books/dolls to goodwill etc. There is something so refreshing about doing this. Cleaning out a closet, getting rid of things that don't make you feel good, it is such a cleansing process not only for your closet but for your soul. I truly believe that when you clean out and organize a space in your home, or your whole home, you will feel so much less stress inside. When you see clutter, junk or trash you feel that inside.
If anyone would like help in this area in their home, I would love to come help, or give you some tips etc!!
We're back to some rain in Portland the last few days. I do love the rain. I love the sound of it on the roof, I love how it hits the window and runs down, I love the smell of the clean rain and air when it's warmer outside. The rain is cozy, it makes me want to be in my sweatpants, with my tea, watching some TV. The rain is also cleansing to me. It feels depressing... and let's you be depressed in it.. which is cleansing? I love the rain. BUT I am also so ready for the sun to be out to stay.
I was watching some Oregonians around Nike campus the other day and realizing a few things about our relationship with rain
1. Umbrellas- most of us have them, as in own them, but never make use of it! It's too time consuming to bring it with us, open it up when necessary and then close it up when finished.
2. Rain Coats- similarly to umbrellas we all own them (actually I didn't own one until I had to walk to and from class in college outside.. in the rain... ) but they're too hard to wear all of the time. Especially in the spring- one second it is raining and the next it is so sunny... who can plan for that kind of weather? Easier to not wear one and risk being warm and needing to carry it. (gosh I'm lazy)
3. We act like it's not even there most of the time... We don't even run to and from place to place -- we just walk... and let the rain get us wet.
I get so excited for this every other week. Thanks Kassi !!!
My 2 things this week
1. Vanity. I've had this since I was a little girl (see below- I had different priorities back then...) and I love it now. It makes me feel super feminine and I love having an organized place for all of my pretty things. It wasn't my husbands favorite at first but then I reminded him that if I didn't keep this stuff here then it would be more in his way.
2. My husbands paintings. He is super cute (and may be embarrassed that I am sharing these on the internet but I LOVE them)
This one he made me for my birthday a few years ago. This is from one of our favorite songs by Joshua Radin "it hasn't felt like home before you"
and this one he made me last Valentine's Day before our wedding. It is our wedding date, and I was struggling with wanting it to come faster. He thought that this might help- and it did!!
What are your 2 favorite things!? Be sure to link up on Kassi's page and check out everyone else's pretty things in their homes!!
These dream jobs are in no particular order (well the order I want to write about them in..) *most of the jobs I dream of don't have "titles" ... so bare with me
Events Logistics Coordinator
This has been my passion for the last few years. I first fell in love with event logistics the summer after my senior year of high school. I was interning for CMD in the PR department. One of our assignments for the summer was to run everything media related at the Jeld-Wen Tradition Champions Tour. I got to work with all of the media which was a blast, but I really got to see first hand what it looks like behind the scenes of an event. I absolutely loved it. I love the fast paced, go-get-em, think quick on your feet, problem solve, help people out, get this from here to there, make sure this happens etc. Since then I had a passion for these logistics. I love being organized, detail oriented and hospitable.
I was able to get a certificate in "Festival & Event Management" through the UO where I got to take a few classes on event management, meeting management, festival management as well as take workshop classes on going green in events, getting volunteers, budgeting and food service. Since graduating I was able to work for Susan G. Komen for the Cure and help with a few fundraising events for them. Currently I am the Volunteer Programs Manager for a non-profit in year 2 of an athletic, weekend, fundraiser event called Wild Canyon Games (I'm a volunteer myself).
My dream would be to do this for a living. I loooooooove event logistics.
As many of you know I've been struggling with my job situation for over a year now. I know what I love and what my talents are but they haven't yet seem to align with anything in this world so far. Because I have this conversation a lot people are always asking what I would really love to do. It's a complicated question for me. I am constantly telling people "oh my goodness that would be my dream job!!" or "You know what I really would love to do..." but the problem is there are MANY things I say this about. Maybe this is (one) reason why it's been so hard for me to be doing something that I love. I love a lot of things and what I've been doing for the last year isn't one of them. I watched the Nanny Diaries the other day and it got me to thinking; I keep doing things that aren't "me".
So over the next few weeks I'm going to be brainstorming what my dream jobs are (mainly for my own thoughts to get organized and try to see if I can figure out more of myself in the process)
1. One song that always takes me back to my youth is .. well youth as in when I was little would have to be Spanish Harlem by Aretha Franklin. I was apparently obsessed with that song since I was 2 and am still obsessed. but Backstreet Boys "As Long as you Love me" brings me right back to 5th grade :)
2. My first concert ever was... oh wow I'm not sure.. maybe Britney Spears!?
3. If I could create my dream music festival I'd want these bands to be there: hmmm Phil Wickam, Matt Kearny, Jimmy Eat World, The Fray, Matt Nathanson, Telecast
4. The best make-out/"boot knocking" song ever is um... i have no idea. i dont make out to songs??
5. The best concert I've ever been to was well Matt Kearny in Eugene was pretty awesome. but also... Brian and my very first "date" was at the Augustana concert and that was awesome for both reasons of music and a super cute boy.
6. A memorable musical moment for me was with my husbands music. He wrote me a song for my birthday when we were first dating and when he played it to me that was super memorable. Also at our wedding he "surprised" me with singing a song. And I have really special memories of us writing music together.
7. The song on my iPod that's getting the most play these days is - well I don't use my ipod that often... but I've been playing Something Beautiful by NeedtoBreath a ton. Also Beautiful Lord by Leeland
Be sure to visit Lauren's page, fill in your blanks and then link back up on her page to share!
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come.
what great news. When we begin our realtionship with Him this gets to happen. We truly are a new person, with a new heart. The Holy Spirit enters our life and our heart and now lives in us.
I was chatting with some of my high school friends about how we think this needs to happen twice. One time it happens because Christ does it for us. We ask him into our hearts, we accept our need for Him, belive that He is the Son of God and commit to walking with him, outcome: new creation. We look different, our sins are forgiven, we act different, we want different things.
The other part, in our opinion, is that we need to continue to come to Him daily to become an even newer creation. Parts of the old you are still there and can creep back up at times. We have scars on our hearts from old hurts, we have brokeness that happened before we met Christ or before we were walking with him. Step 2 is healing. Major, major healing. This looks different for all of us. Crucial, I think, to feeling like a new creation a few years into our walks. We need to ask God into the deeper parts of our heart that we have locks on. He wants in there but we won't let him. We have to open up so that He can come in and clean out the rest of that junk that we wouldn't let Him have the first time.
I am SO grateful for my Savior. He makes me a better person every single day that I seek Him. He waits for me everyday for this.
Anna is my little sister & my favorite person in the entire world. She is a sophomore at the University of Oregon- rocking in her classes in the Journalism school. She loves Jesus, Young Life, Africa and PR. TOMS shoes has asked her and a friend to be the University of Oregon reps for their brand to help promote and spread the word of a great great cause. Check her out!
Mollie is my super cute second-cousin-in-law (or just cousin for short). She is a senior in college. We share a passion for non-profits, fundraising, events and straight up making things happen (only I don't get to do that right now and she's totally rocking in her career before she has even graduated!!). Mollie blogs about lots of different things from life in Seattle/Bellingham to work to fashion and music. I think she rocks so check her out!
Rachel and I met freshman year of high school at Jesuit. We shared a love of volleyball and competition. She is so wonderful and full of such great insight. She is one big ball on inspiration. She loves traveling, trying new things, making new friends. I love Rachel because she knows exactly who she is and is always just that. Rachel is one of the most loyal friends I have ever had. Her blog is both fun and thought provoking. LOVE her. Check her out!
Janice is incredible. Her and I got to be friends through our husbands being friends. She has always welcomed me with open arms and made me feel comfortable wherever we are at. Janice is an incredible elementary school teacher and has perservered through so much. I admire her clinging to the Lord to get through all things. Janice and I share a love for sweat pants on the weekend, home decor, cute things, good deals, peachwave and lounging. Check her out!
Morgan is my newest friend to begin a blog (as of this week) but I know it will end up being great. Morgan and I became friends right before my freshman year of college. We had a sweet few years of an incredible frienship in Eugene. She helped me get through lonliness. We are soul twins - we have so much in common and got to share so much together while in college. Morgan has a passion for life, a life full of fun and commitment to the Lord. Excited to see what she is going to do with her blog!!
AND Jessica!!! I just found her blog and haven't read many yet, I don't know Jess that well yet but I secretly (well not anymore) think she is one of the most beautiful people both inside and out!! For real. She is an amazing wife, mother and daughter of the Lord.
Check them all out and become a follower!!! (we all know that we loooove followers- its partly why we write, right!?)
Who do you want to reccomend for Follow Friday?
Post and link up here so we can all see!!
Christ in me Christ in me Christ in me the hope of glory Be my Everything.
I was just talking with my Young Life girls on Sunday night about how I forget this so much. Christ IS in me. For those of us who have said yes to having a relationship with Him, He now dwells in our hearts, he lives there. It's now a choice for us to ask Him to be our everything. Acknowledge that the Holy Spirit dwells in us and seek Him there.
From the inside out Lord my soul cries out
It has to be an overflow. Fill your heart up with Christ so much to the point that it has nowhere else to go but OUT. Let Him invade your heart, your life, your home, your space and every person you come in contact with. That is HIS desire.
at campaigners we were talking through these verses. It is so important to plant yourself. It may look a little bit harder, as John Mark taught us, we are going to have to dig through the soil on top that looks good but it is deceitful. Let's do the work NOW to get down to the good rocks underneath the bad soil. Instead of going down with a crash and having to rebuild.
"Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
who depends on flesh for his strength
and whose heart turns away from the LORD.
He will be like a bush in the wastelands;
he will not see prosperity when it comes.
He will dwell in the parched places of the desert,
in a salt land where no one lives.
"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.
He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit."
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."
But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop
was one of the most incredible days of my life. Brian and I had been "hanging out" since January of that year. He was courting me and it was fabulous. Each time we talked or saw each other our feelings grew and grew as we got to know each others hearts better. We had been friends for about 4 years but didn't know each other on a deeper level. It was perfect. We were both committing it to prayer and surrendering our feelings and waiting for God's timing in it-- but we never talked about it. That was the sweetest. I wasn't worried or caught up in wondering if he liked me or wondering if he wanted to date me, I was SO content in the Lord during that time in my life, especially with the idea of Brian and a relationship.
on April 20th, 2007 I was visiting him in Salem, where he was living at the time, and we, on a whim, decided to drive to Pacific City (which is my favorite place). It was 80 degrees that day. No wind at the beach. Sun shining SO bright and warm. We had the best time on the way there, playing games, having fun, holding hands driving in his old jeep. We explored and talked and giggled and had the best day ever. We kissed for the first time with the most incredible view ever (below- as best as a camera can capture it/this is not from the same day/that is my sister in the pic) and haven't stopped kissing since.
This day will forever be in my memory. I love to relive it and talk about the little details. It bring my heart back to such a sweet and special place. I am grateful that we had both been wholeheartedly seeking the Lord in this and it was entirely ordained by Him. I am so grateful to have a God who wants the very very best for me- because let me tell you that His way IS the very best :)
Sometimes I feel like I don't have time to deal with going to work. I have so much "LIFE" that goes on outside of my work week that I don't have the time or energy to be at work on a Monday. I have too much life to do!! Not sure if this is just me because my job isn't my favorite and I'm not connected to it, or because I do so many other things outside of work- Young Life, Wild Canyon Games etc. and those things are bigger than what I do at work (which is ship boxes... basically). It makes it hard to be here today. Other than just wanting to straight up be home, I'd like to be doing one of the following things:
leaving to go to maui
relaxing on this outdoor patio, resting or reading a book
I miss you.
I tried to read your book but it wasn't great..
I used to watch your show but it wasn't great either..
but I love you and I'm not sure why.
I also love that your bestie is from when you were little.
Maggie and I have a fling with little things that we don't have a lot of time to use but are so cute (like all things at Paper Source). I want everything- note pads, stickers, stamps, paper, envelopes ect. It seems like my heart is telling me I need to get more crafty.. or at least have a craft room full of this stuff. I want it all!!!
Danni is having a great giveaway for a $50 gift card to a super cute online store with tons of super cute craft things!! Check her our and be sure to enter to win!!
playing along with Lauren today and doing my first "fill in the blank friday "
1. The first thing I do in the morning iswish I could sleep for 10 more hours and hit the snooze button until Brian kisses me goodbye and then I get up and brush my teeth! :)
2. Every night before bed I would love to read and chat with my husband before having to turn on the lights. But reality looks like me telling Brian to stop working, stop playing the guitar and us talking about how we wish we got in bed earlier haha.
3. My favorite thing to do when I'm having a bad day iswatch FRIENDS, lounge on the couch, listen to worship music, be in the sun, read scripture.
4. Something that makes me cringe when people snort snot back into their .. nose or throat, nails on a chalkboard, my husbands feet. Also the brokenness in the world.
5. Social situations are good? I've actually noticed as I get older that I want to spend less time with big groups of people that I don't know that well. I have some of the best friends I could ask for from High School and I always just desire to be with them, because with them I can be myself, I can relax and let go. I hate feeling like I can't do that in certain social situations. I also have found that I'm much happier on my couch in my sweats with my husband.
6. I like to collect I'm not sure.. nothing right now. Growing up I had MANY collections, most of which I am embarassed to say on a blog (eagle things being one of them). I have a small teapot collection
7. Weekends are for relaxing, spending time with friends and getting things done!! (this is why I propose a 3 day weekend. One day for each thing that needs to happen).
So I've realized that I have a real problem with snacking. Living with a boy now makes it SO much harder. He snacks constantly and so I feel like I need to catch up. I end up snacking right along with him. I either make my own or just eat off of his plate because it looks so good. I decided as of right now that I need to begin to kick this habit. I need to eat more protein and vegetables because I am for SURE not getting enough of that. My mom always said when you are trying to kick a habit to replace it with something else. If you're trying not to snack, when you have the urge to snack have a go-to item so you aren't tempted (brushing your teeth, gum, mints, tea, water etc.) I LOVE tea so that will work great for me ( should go with water but sometimes I need a little bit more flavor). Today was BEAUTIFUL out and I wasn't in the mood for a warm drink--- so I looked through my fridge and came up with this tasty drink!
Started with this:
cut the strawberries
put it all together
added a little rice milk
I also thought I could add sugar
and/or add Sprite to change the taste.
SUPER refreshing :)
how beautiful is she!?
can't wait for the movie to come out.
I am not going to lie- FRIENDS has become my TV series on DVD of choice over the last year but S&TC will always hold a place in my heart. Who can resist?